Oct 3, 2012

Book Review: Angel Dust - Sarah Mussi

Title: Angel Dust
Author: Sarah Mussi
Release Date: August 2nd 2012
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Pages: 352 (paperback)
Would you move heaven and earth for the one you love?
ANGEL DUST is a powerful, gritty and utterly modern tragic love story with a twist. When Serafina, the brightest and most beloved of all God's angels, is sent to collect Marcus Montague - "the original badman" - and take him to Hell, she finds herself powerfully drawn to him and makes a decision that places her in the middle of a war between Heaven and Hell. Can Serafina fall in love without falling from grace? Can Marcus's soul be saved? And just who is the mysterious and ever-so-helpful stranger Larry?
Sarah Mussi asks pertinent questions about free will, morality and how far is too far when it comes to love, making ANGEL DUST a must-read for YA readers who want more than the usual from their paranormal romance.
THE COVER
When I first compared this cover to the ARC copy that I received - thanks to a giveaway by the publisher! - I actually preferred the plain white ARC. Then I read it. Nice to meet you, Zara.

THE STORY
I admit: I thought I'd get another human-angel love story when I began reading Angel Dust, except that this time, it's the girl who's the heavenly being. But no, Angel Dust is so much more than that. In fact, I don't think it's a love story - another case of insta-love here, unfortunately - as much as a coming-of-age story.  

The book started out quite slow, although I was thrown straight into the action. Written in first-person POV, I easily understood Serafina's mind. The author integrated the backstory really well, no info-dump or whatsoever. It was easy to understand her take on angels and, trust me, it's so different, it made me laugh a few times.

It dragged in the middle, to be honest, but it was essential and I can't see it being done in a better way. And the ending? Wow! I love endings like that; not sugar-coated and realistic.

And Free Will. Sarah Mussi made me question that, too. Books rarely make me question anything, so I just loved this.

THE CHARACTERS
The main character, Serafina, was very hard to like. I doubt angels - yes, I believe in them - are really that naive and innocent (though in her defense, Serafina is a fresh graduate from the Cloisters). Then the next minute she was complaining about the littlest things! But I loved that she was brave and knew what she wanted. She also matured so much in the span of a week. 

Marcus, the gangsta whom Serafina fell for, was just that: a gangsta. He didn't make me swoon or anything, which was a first because I normally love bad boys.

And Larry, the helpful stranger, was not to be taken in face value. I had two guesses of who he truly was, and one of them, as I learned in the end, was correct. There was another guy - archangel, actually - and he was the one I liked. I have a thing for archangels.

MY FAVORITE PART was the ending. Just read it and see for yourself.

RATING: 3.5/5
(photo and summary from publisher's website)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D