Apr 3, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me - Tahereh Mafi

 
Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: February 5th 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Bought
Our lips
touch
and I know I'm going to split at the seams. He kisses me softly then strongly like he's lost me and he's found me and I'm slipping away and he's never going to let me go.
Juliette has escaped from The Reestablishment. Now she's free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible. Haunted by her past and terrified of her future, Juliette knows that she will have to make some life-changing choices. Choices that may involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.
Oh, Unravel Me. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Just kidding. I can't. There are too many.

As a sequel should, Unravel Me kept and expounded the positives of its predecessor, and left the negatives. The writing was still beautiful and lyrical, but it flowed more smoothly—or maybe that's because I'm used to it now. It was also more emotional than the first because Juliette now had more experience in that department. I really felt all of her ups and downs.

Although Juliette disappointed me by pulling an Edward-Cullen-in-New-Moon, I liked her for the most part. Same goes for the other characters. Adam was being too much of a drama queen, but I understood his reasons for acting like that. But Warner? Well, my Warner was his usual flawless self, of course. Like he'd ever be otherwise.

The immediate tension made me fail in my plan to read this slowly and absorb the words. That tension was kept consistent all throughout, but it didn't exhaust me, and that's thanks to the reprieves brought by kissing romance and friendship. And since I'm on the subject of lightness, I think Kenji deserves to be mentioned. Seriously. That dude cracks me up. (Tahereh, please stop messing him up.)

With heart-pumping action, jaw-dropping revelations, and totally unforeseen twists, this climax of a book had me glued until that dreaded last page. That final scene has me dying for more, especially since (I hope this isn't too spoiler-y) Juliette declared that she was done being nice. I don't know what this says about me, but I've always wanted to see her the way Warner did: wild and dangerous. Also, I can't wait to know for sure who she'll end up with because both choices are equally possible.

MY FAVORITE PART WAS CHAPTER SIXTY-FREAKING-TWO. Dude. Dude. My. Heart. Cannot. Handle. Warner. Like. That. 
I want this up. I want these down.
What the fark, Warner. You can't just say things like that! Are you trying to kill me, you glorious bastard?!

RATING:
 
I gave the first book a five, too, but this was better. (I seem to be doing that a lot with sequels—not that I'm getting to read lots of them.)
(cover and blurb from Goodreads.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D