Aug 7, 2013

Book Review: One Tiny Lie - K.A. Tucker

Title: One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths #2)
Author: K.A. Tucker
Release Date: June 11th 2013
Publisher: Atria Books
Age Group: New Adult
Source: NetGalley
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would... and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.
Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fit Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?
As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.
Ten Tiny Breaths is currently one of my favorite reads this year, so I just freaked out when I learned that it would have a sequel. Unfortunately, One Tiny Lie has left me underwhelmed and disappointed.

Livie Cleary is starting her freshman year in Princeton, and her sister Kacey, the MC in the first book, is hellbent on pulling out Livie's inner beast from underneath the perfect good girl. One night at a party manages to do just that, and she wakes up in her dormroom the next morning with a tattoo and a very hot, very naked guy: Ashton Henley, captain of the rowing team slash manwhore.

I thought Livie being too good to be true would be my only problem with her, so I decided to overlook that, thinking "Hey, if that's how the author wants it. *shrugs*" Soon, though, that turned out to be the least of my issues with her as she had me raising an eyebrow more times than I'd have liked.

First, when Ashton asked her to keep on the hush their night of debauchery, Livie thought something was wrong with her, not him. I also couldn't fathom how Miss Prim and Proper took quite long to realize just how wrong it was to date a guy when she was obviously attracted to his best friend. And lastly, she was so passive that if not for the other characters, this book wouldn't have progressed at all.

Now for the manwhore. Was Ashton hot? Yes. Was he a douche? Definitely. Normally, I don't even notice douchiness in books, so this says a lot about him. The way he pushed then pulled Livie made me suspect that he was bipolar, and in true Ten Tiny Breaths fashion, the dude had his own issues. Unfortunately, I don't believe they justified how he'd treated Livie.

So yes, One Tiny Lie didn't amaze, and it didn't even amuse for the most part, but there is significant character growth so it's still worth a try. The ending saved this for me because only God knows how good K.A. Tucker is at writing them, and I'm really excited for the next book, Four Seconds to Lose, which will be Cain's story!

MY FAVORITE PART is
"Hello!" Kacey waves dramatically at them as she does every night, clearly enjoying the fact that her man is being drooled over. She points at Trent. "He's five hundred for two hours!" Swinging her hand Ashton's way, she adds, "Seven-fifty for him because he's young. You should hear how he makes my sister scream!"
Jesus Christ =))

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that there is some character growth, but I'm sorry to hear you found this to be quite disappointing overall. Especially as Ten Tiny Breaths was one of your favourites. Still, thank you for the helpful review! I hope your next read is more fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D