Sep 23, 2012

Book Review: Screaming in the Silence - Lydia Kelly

Title: Screaming in the Silence - Lydia Kelly
Release Date: The edition I have was first published October 27th 2010
Publisher: WorldMaker Media
Pages: 194 (ebook)
Could you fall in love with the man who kidnapped and raped you?
After being struck by a car, Raleigh finds herself taken captive by three men who live in a remote cottage by a lake. Locked in the basement and raped, she soon discovers that her desperation is leading her to believe in and trust one of her captors. Kaden is handsome and at times protective, but will he save her from his partner, who wants her dead? And can she have feelings and fall in love with a man who kidnapped and raped her?
Screaming in the Silence is the harrowing and erotic tale of a woman's kidnapping ordeal. Edited and updated with a new ending, Screaming in the Silence is the official published version of an Internet hit that has been read over 20,000 times.
THE COVER
I'm not a big fan of this cover, but I think it really embodies the story, with the crying girl - who is, obviously, Raleigh - and the lake which is quite a big part of the main characters' relationship.

THE STORY
This is the first "girl gets kidnapped" book that I've ever read, so I was really curious when I began reading it. The pacing was really good; I just couldn't stop reading. And it took an unexpected twist towards the conclusion, and that ending has permanently taken a piece of my heart.

THE CHARACTERS
The story started off with Raleigh running away from a life she didn't want to live. It's good that her kidnapping changed her for the better, gave her the courage to voice out what she really wanted.

A surprise came in the form of my love for Kaden; he's one of the kidnappers, for heaven's sake! But how could I not? He's a French-to-English manuscript translator, and in the book - if my memory serves me right - he's working on Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Raleigh asked him why he's translating it when it's already been translated, but unfortunately, since I read this book last March, I can't remember his answer. My apologies.  

I just have a thing for broken, complicated characters.
 
MY FAVORITE PART was the last scene with Raleigh. So much hope. In my head, I love continuing the story from there.

RATING: 5/5
(photo and summary from Goodreads.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D