Dec 22, 2013

365 Days of Books: April 2013

With the new year fast coming up, I thought I'd recap 2013, the most bookish year in the history of me. This past April, we had our first term break of the year and I spent that week at my parents' house in the province, which meant lots of food + lots of sleep + lots of time in front of the TV + slow internet = next to zero reading done. *facepalm* 

The Collector (Dante Walker #1) by Victoria Scott (4/5)
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1) by Jamie McGuire (4.5/5)
Walking Disaster (Beautiful #2) by Jamie McGuire (3.5/5)
The Bane (The Eden Trilogy #1) by Keary Taylor (2.5/5)
The Raid (The Eden Trilogy #0.6) by Keary Taylor (4/5)
Total: 9 books

Book of the Month
Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1)
Author: Laini Taylor
Release Date: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
When I think of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, the first words that come to mind are "HOLY JAW-DROPPING AWESOMESAUCE WRITING OMFG". Seriously. Laini Taylor has a way with words that I haven't seen in anybody else's work. She can paint imagery and inflict emotion with only a handful of words. I'm not done drafting this series of recap posts (procrastinator right hurr) so I can't say if this book will be my book of the year, but I can definitely say that Laini is writer of the year for me.

I read quite a bunch of well-known books this April, but have you guys read The Sweetest Dark? It involves dragons and a World War (can't remember which, exactly, sorry) and it's gotten less than the attention it deserves. This is me handing out a recommendation, guys ;D

1 comment:

  1. HOLY JAW-DROPPING AWESOMESAUCE WRITING OMFG is pretty much my line of thought too when I read anything by Laini Taylor. She really does have a special way with words! I'm so glad you got to pick up Daughter of Smoke and Bone this April. I was a big fan too, and I liked the sequel, Days of Blood and Starlight, even more. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D