Dec 23, 2013

365 Days of Books: May 2013

With the new year fast coming up, I thought I'd recap 2013, the most bookish year in the history of me. What I remember of May is my dad being hospitalized for two weeks because of a freaky flesh-eating bacteria o.o Thankfully, he got out fine and whole.

The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher (3/5)
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2) by Julie Kagawa (4.5/5)
Chantress (Chantress #1) by Amy Butler Greenfield (3.5/5)
Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon #1) by Anna Banks (5/5)
The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller (5/5)
Stripped (Stripped #1) by Brooklyn Skye (3/5)
Firecracker by David Iserson (4.5/5)
Screwed by Laurie Plissner (4.5/5)
The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters #3) by Charles Sheehan-Miles (4.5/5)
True (True #1) by Erin McCarthy (3.5/5)
Of Triton (Of Poseidon #2) by Anna Banks (4.5/5)
Legacy Lost (Of Poseidon #0.5) by Anna Banks (3.5/5)
Scrap (The Grimmic Chronicles #1) by Emory Sharplin (3/5)
Total: 13 books

Book of the Month
Title: Firecracker
Author: David Iserson
Release Date: May 16th 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Being Astrid Krieger is absolutely all it's cracked up to be. 
She lives in a rocket ship in the backyard of her parents' estate. 
She was kicked out of the elite Bristol Academy and she's intent on her own special kind of revenge to whomever betrayed her. 
She only loves her grandfather, an incredibly rich politician who makes his money building nuclear warheads. 
It's all good until... 
"We think you should go to the public school," Dad said.
This was just a horrible, mean thing to say. Just hearing the words "public school" out loud made my mouth taste like urine (which, not coincidentally, is exactly how the public school smells).
 
Will Astrid finally meet her match in the form of public school? Will she find out who betrayed her and got her expelled from Bristol? Is Noah, the sweet and awkward boy she just met, hiding something?
This book is just something you can expect from one of the writers of the hit TV show New Girl. It's hilarious yet poignant, and I clearly remember how many times Firecracker made me lol. Astrid isn't the kind of character most people will like, but I definitely did.

I had a hard time choosing this book of the month because I read a ton of great books this May! Notables would be The Eternity Cure, the Of Poseidon books, The Summer I Became a Nerd, Screwed, and The Last Hour. Have you read any of these titles? Sound off in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Firecracker sounds like an unusual read! I'm glad you liked Of Poseidon as much as I did; and I'm sorry I liked True more! lol. :-) Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D