Jul 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday {4}

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where we post our top tens of anything bookish. 

This week's topic: Authors Who Deserve More Recognition (book cover photos link to my review of that book :D)

Both of the books pictured above are the first in Nikki's two YA paranormal/urban fantasy series, Spellbound and Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter. Now, you may be tempted to ignore these books because of the multitude of paranormal/urban fantasy out there, but I tell you: DON'T! 

Whether it's YA contemp or post-apocalyptic/sci-fi, Keary knows how to rock it. Her books are compelling, fast-paced, action-packed (there's not much action in What I Didn't Say because it's a contemporary, duh), and so twist-y! 

When I first saw the topic for this week's TTT, Charles was the first author who came to mind. A Song for Julia is one of my fave NA books ever, and The Last Hour is the most tear-jerking book I've read. These are two of the books in his Thompson Sisters series, and they are both sexy, romantic, and emotional.

Laurie's books are phenomenal. They're not the most original ones out there but the execution? Flawless. A lot of people didn't enjoy them, sure, but I suggest you give them a try. You can thank me after ;D

The Sweetest Dark is a YA series set in the same universe as Shana's Adult Drakon series. The cover is enticing, I know, but the book is even more so. The story is unique and even better and beautiful is Shana's writing which is one of the most atmospheric ones I've ever read.

Okay, so I'm still in the middle of reading Leigh's Adult debut novel, Shattered Illusions, but I can already confidently tell you that it's mysterious and mind-boggling. And, seriously, I had no idea mystery could be written so lyrically.

Liz's YA contemp Hooked is one of the most unique contemps I've read. It's a romance novel, yes, but it's so much more than that. For one, it features golf. Yawn, right? Nope, not even for a second. It also tackles racism and bullying, so you know this book is so much deeper than it looks.

Kristin's debut novel damaged me. Her writing was simple but beautiful, wrenching my heart at the perfect moments. The mixed reviews tell that it's not for everyone, but if "Bonnie and Clyde meets If I Stay" sounds interesting to you, go give it a try!

I don't remember which I heard of first: Taste, which sounded similar to one of my favorite anime series, or Kate, who's a fellow Filipino ♥ Now, before you think that Kate's in this list because of our shared nationality, let me tell you that it's not (I'm not that patriotic, anyway XD). Kate really is a talented writer, and I'm excited to read more of her work.

Quite a lot of books have made me sob in a corner, but none of them are as unique as Flawed. Kate's book is so harsh and twisted but beautiful and romantic. Seriously. If you're going to read just a handful of books this year, make sure that this is one of them.

11 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Nobody But Us since it came out. I have no idea what has been stopping me. This list may have just given me the push I needed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to check out some of these writers. Fab list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Nikki Jefford! She made my list too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read What I Didn't Say for the longest time! As well as Keary's Eden series. They sound great!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Hooked on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. Shattered Illusions sounds interesting and I love that author photo. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great list, now I have a bunch of new authors that I can check out.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I haven't read any of these authors' books. I am curious about Hooked, though. I had a really difficult time with this week's topic. Anyway, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of these authors before! But I ran to Goodreads to add A Song for Julia to my TBR. It looks pretty good. And if I ever run out of books I want to read, I'll come back and check your list :)

    Happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Boookviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I've only heard of two of these authors before! Keary Taylor's books sound interesting. Thanks for your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keary Taylor and Kate Evangelista sound like two authors I should check out! Thanks.
    Here was my Top Ten.
    New follower here!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D