Dec 24, 2012

Top 10 of 2012 {Day 1}: Best Books I've Read in 2012

Top 10 of 2012 will be five days of top ten bookish lists on this last week of 2012! Check this out for more info :D

Today's post is for the best books I've read in 2012. I still have books left to read for the last few days of this year, but I've read 63 of my 70-book reading challenge, so to narrow that down to 10 is nothing but torture. Contrary to the title of this post, though, this list is in no particular order to save myself from further headache :))

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (review)
   I read this twice this year and I can only love it even more. The world-building, plot, pace, etc. were all excellent, but what I really loved was the relationship between Aria and Perry! They both had their own problems that would lead them into different sides of the world, but they came together and it couldn't be more perfect. Through the Ever Night, I need you now!



Looking for Alaska by John Green (review)
   2012 was the year I discovered the awesome that is John Green's writing. Looking for Alaska was a witty, raw, and memorable book, and is one of the few books that will continue surprising me with every re-read.

 

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
   Ah, this book. Two smart teens, New York in winter, a book of dares, the Strand... Don't they just spell swoon-worthy romance? I'll be re-reading this later - as in today, yes - for Christmas!


Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick (review)
   This year also saw the ending of my first-ever YA series, Hush, Hush. I cried a lot of tears from this baby, but now I have the movie to look forward to, yay!

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
   While Klaus Mikaelson is my beloved TV villain, Shatter Me gave me my beloved book villain. WARNER! *chases with open arms* I know - I just know - there's a heartbreaking reason for his, uhh, attitude. And that he's internally frowning that I haven't read Destroy Me yet. I'll get to that after my Shatter Me re-read next year, right before Tahereh Mafi's visit here in Manila! \o/



A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (review)
   I read the first three books of the ASoIaF series this year, but for me, the best was ASoS. It was action-packed and gasp-inducing, and I'm just so excited for the third season of the TV series (which is the first half of this book!).

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
   This year, I chanced upon one of my hottest book boyfriends ever favorite YA series, and with it was Daemon Black. I'd gladly be abducted by this infuriatingly hot alien. Anyway, the Lux series starts out pretty simple - well, as simple as it could get with gorgeous aliens born in threes and their life-force-sucking enemies, anyway - but JLA just knows how to thicken the plot. I need Opal in my hands soon.


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
   I jumped in with the hype for this series right before the movie came out, and I was far from disappointed. Brutal but brilliant, I really enjoyed Katniss' story of survival. And Peeta Mellark, yeah.



Insurgent by Veronica Roth
   I also read Divergent this year, but I loved Insurgent more, maybe because there was more Fourtris ♥ But that ending, god! I need Detergent and the movie now!





The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith (review)
   This series is totally underrated, you guys. Why?! (Actually, I have a good guess why: it was released in the 90's XD) It has the L.J. Smith trademark - a group of cool teens - a hot guy from another world, and a game that is freakier than Jumanji. You all have to read this!

Aaaand that's it! I read a lot of great books this year - maybe even ones better than the those here - but these are what stuck with me. Tomorrow's list will be dedicated to the best book covers of 2012, so check back here again! :D 

10 comments:

  1. Oh,I really really want to read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares! Great reads for this year! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, is Hush Hush going to be turned into a movie? OMG! I didn't loved the book, but the movie...mmmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I really have to read The Forbidden Game as I love her other books. Finale is on my post-Christmas must read list and I'm hoping to read Shatter Me as my first 2013 book so I can start with a bang :)

    My Top 10 of 2012 is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really liked under the never sky and yes i <3 warner too
    great list


    my top 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I think we might be book soul mates. I'm so happy you loved Looking for Alaska, because it's my favorite book like EVER, and same goes for The Hunger Games <3 And I also read and LOVED Shatter Me, UTNS, Insurgent and Dash & Lily this year. And Obsidian is on my TBR for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being so close to your reading goal! You can TOTALLY read 7 books in the next 6 days. ;) Obsidian is popular today; guess that means that I gots to read it! Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list of books. I love all JLA books! Shatter Me was awesome and I def need to read Insurgent since I loved Divergent!

    Vivian
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read Insurgent! I enjoyed Obsidian too and Shatter Me!
    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool list! I've read Under the Never Sky (thought it was ok) and Shatter Me (freaking loved it!) and The Hunger Games (best book ever! And the movie was awesome as well).
    I own Obsidian so I think I'll read it soon, and I also want to read Finale, but I'm kind of hesitant because I didn't really like Silence all that much. Anyway, thanks for featuring these awesome books!! :)

    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  10. Under the Never Sky and Obsidian were both books that I figured I was not going to like much. Both surprised me and I ended up loving them. Hunger Games and Insurgent...oh my, both awesome choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D