Apr 8, 2014

Book Review: The Iron Queen - Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey #3)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: January 25th 2011
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Bought
My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.
I didn't think it possible to love this series even more, but that was before I read The Iron Queen. HOLY CRABSTICKS. It took everything I enjoyed from the previous two books and multiplied them by ten, equating to action plus adventure to the hundredth degree

Meghan and Ash's exile to the human world is cut short when they realize that she can't go back to her family to continue her old life, not without endangering everyone around them, and their time away from Faerie is ultimately ended when the Seelie and Unseelie courts enlist Meghan's help to end the false Iron King who is threatening to take over their land.

Meghan has always left much to be desired when it comes to her actions. She's impulsive and, frankly, a teeny tiny bit stupid, but she's undergone a ton of character development in the first two books without losing her selflessness. Here in the third book, she finally learns something I've long been hoping she would: fighting. She's no longer satisfied with being guarded and kept safe; now, she's jumping right into the midst of danger.

So good thing she has Ash, Puck, and Grim beside her. The four of them together is entertaining and formidable as ever, and even when they have their squabbles, they always have each other's backs.
"For this conflict only, we will carry you and your officers into battle. Afterward, our contract is done, and you will release us."
"Oh, goodie," Puck said as I stepped forward. "I'm going to have a rash in the most uncomfortable places."

I was also glad to see Puck being his old self, not bitter and angry because Meghan chose Ash over him. He's taken the friendship she offers him in stride, but not without pestering the royal couple who, by the way, made my heart ache multiple times. If you're still unsure of their love by the end of the second book, then you should lose all of your questions when you read this one.

Twisty and unpredictable, The Iron Queen took me on an even better ride than the first two books. It's very hard to put down and very easy to devour. If I didn't know about the fourth book and the spin-off series, that ending would have made me cry even more ugly tears.

MY FAVORITE PART was the knighting scene ♥

RATING:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D